Powered by Blogger.

Everybody Rise - Stephanie Clifford


It's been quite a while since I've done a book review. Lately I just haven't felt compelled to pick up a book, maybe it's the mood I'm in or it's the book I'm currently reading. It took me a while to get through this book as well as to actually write a review of it. I'm all over the place these days, I blame the weather. It's been too hot for me to properly function, I can't deal with this heat.
 
Book Summary
Everybody Rise* is set in Manhattan of 2006 and focuses on Evelyn Beegan who feels like an outsider to her privileged peers.
 
When she gets a job to recruit new members for a new social media website she targets Camilla Rutherford, an heiress/socialite, top of the New York social scene. Through their friendship Evelyn starts to move up but starts lying to fit in.
 
Review
As I was reading I was getting a strong Gossip Girl vibe. One, it was set in New York as well as the story being centred around the upper social scene. Evelyn kind of reminded me of Dan Humphrey and him trying to figure out the upper social scene. The difference is that he had Serena who is kind of more levelled and a lot less self-centred than Camilla.
 
The story follows Evelyn's rise and fall with her social status and the consequences of it including the fall out with her relationships; boyfriend, friends and parents.  At times it was hard to sympathise with Evelyn, she did some really stupid things and I felt like she deserved what her consequences were. She was a desperate girl trying to get in anyway she could and did not care about anyone else including herself.
 
I did enjoy the story, like I said it gave me Gossip Girl vibes and it's one of my favourite shows.
 
*This book was sent to me by Hachette NZ, the review is all my own opinion
 
Ashley xx

No comments

Feel free to comment. I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas.